Photos show deputy choking handcuffed student until he passes out
UPDATE: Frank Phillips, the Tennessee deputy shown in these disturbing photos, has been fired.
Knox County Sheriff Jimmy Jones said in a statement the deputy used excessive force and was terminated:
“In my 34 years of law enforcement experience, excessive force has never been tolerated. After an investigation by the Office of Professional Standards, I believe excessive force was used in this incident. Therefore, Officer Phillips’ employment with the Knox County Sheriff’s Office is terminated immediately.”
A Knoxville photographer has captured a police officer on camera using what looks like excessive and unnecessary force on a college student.
The sequence of photographs show the young man complying with Knox County deputies as they lead him to a police van at the University of Tennessee, before an officer uses two hands to choke the student until he is unconscious.
The young man was arrested during a wild college party celebrating after a week of finals that spilled out onto the street on Saturday night.
- Deputies were called to a University of Tennessee student party that spilled out onto a residential street
- Students threw beer bottles at officers and several people were arrested
- A photographer on the scene took a series of photos of a deputy choking a student into unconsciousness
- The student did not resist arrest, says the photographer
- He was complying with officers when the officer began to choke him
- Two other officers were behind the student, handcuffing him
- Knox County Sheriff’s Department has not issued a statement on the incident
Read entire article here: